February 2011


2 Years Old

Hey everyone, Viola turned two about two months ago. Here we are singing happy birthday to her at my parents' house, with her Uncle Adam and Aunt Stephanie:

I'd say she's pretty pleased.

Here's more video from her actual birthday. It was a weeknight but Joe managed to make cupcakes and I threw together some icing (who knew actual frosting took so long to make?).



In November Viola started riding the bus with me to work three days a week, so she could attend a daycare in Seattle near my office. Our ride is about an hour each way. As you might imagine, the bus now figures largely in her make-believe and story-telling. A few weeks ago we checked out Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus from the library, which was an instant hit, both with her and with the grownups of the household.

Here's Viola remixing the title of the book:

Many times when we're waiting for the bus in the dark and cold, I can get a smile from her by asking if a pigeon is going to be driving our bus. That sets her off, saying, "Here's a bus! There's a pigeon driving!" every time a bus comes and goes. (Despite the urban-ness of our pickup and drop-off locations, however, we only very rarely see real-life pigeons.)

On our first day, waiting at Tacoma Dome Station.

We like to have snacks, read books, and draw during our ride.

She likes to look for Boeing Field or mama's building or tall buildings to point out. Just recently, it's light enough to see outside during our morning ride.


Grandma's visit

Last month Joe had to leave town for ten days for work. (It was another one of those Caribbean cruise deals). As soon as he left, Viola developed a fever from double ear infections that had likely been brewing for some time. We made it through the weekend together by busying ourselves seeing lots of generous friends who had us over for dinners and play-dates (thanks friends!) On Monday I developed a fever from a sinus infection as well, but went to work because Viola's daycare is too far from our house to just drop her off. My mom was scheduled to come on Tuesday, so we powered through some bad single-parent dinners and unintentionally late bedtimes with that light at the end of our tunnel. Then a huge blizzard hit the Midwest and my mom's flight was canceled, but she finally made it out on Thursday, and we had a great, if brief, visit.

Viola had lots of fun showing Grandma her battery-powered bubble shooter.

We also went to the beach for a very Northwesty winter visit and watched the Packers win the Superbowl (yeah!). Grandma got to go to daycare for a half day with Viola, and observed her in her natural environment doing "potty jobs," playing dress-up, and driving cars around in the gym.


Hooray for Grandma visits. And hooray, Joe is back in town with no plans to leave again soon. Now, if we could only shake those ear infections...